Sunday, March 3, 2013

Randy Pausch Last Lecture




What an inspirational teacher and speaker! Randy Pausch is a professor at Carnegie Mellon and this video is where he gave his last speech before he lost his battle with cancer. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this speech and learning about his childhood goals and what he did to try his best and achieve them. He is hardworking man with a strong presences about him, I would be lucky to have half the determination that he demonstrates in the video.


In his speech, "How to Achieve Your Childhood Dreams", he tells us how he achieved his childhood dreams. He tells us of the many things he wanted to achieve as a child and the ridiculous amount of obstacles he endured to pursue them. He shared a quote saying "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." This quote stuck with me because it is very true and reminds me of something my dad always tells me, if you fall off the horse you have to get back up or you'll never learn how to ride it.This is so true about so many different things in this world. Failure is bound to happen, but you can always over come it by never giving up faith and trying your hardest to accomplish something you set out to do.



Mr. Pausch tells his listeners that brick walls are there to prove how hard you are willing to work to obtain a goal.This statement could not be more true, especially when it comes to teaching. Your students might not always be the best at reading or writing and might need help. That is a teachers brick wall and giving up and just letting them fall behind is not acceptable, you have to break down that wall push forward and help that child you should get them excited about learning so that they want to better themselves and reach their full potential.



He says there are steps you can take on getting help when you need it. He stresses that you can not always get where you need to on your own, you should tell the truth and apologize when you are in the wrong. Mainly he said to "focus on others and not yourself." He is so right about apologizing and speaking honestly. Why lie or stay mad and not take responsiblity for your own actions? Apologizing and honesty will take a person a whole lot further in life. His main point was focusing on others, as an educator this is a big importance. You are a teacher, you are responsible for the 15+ something students and if you are busy being self centered, you aren't noticing that they need you and expect you to be there for them.



Randy had a strong motto: Don't complain, just work harder. This was how he wanted to be remembered. He didn't want to be remembered for his cancer or what he had to face going through that, he wanted to be remembered for how hard he worked, and how caring he was. In his lecture he showed the audience a great side of him. He never really believed in just giving up he wanted things in his life time and he certainly set out to get them. It was amazing to see all his accomplishments come true. I honestly can't even remember my younger life goals, but the ones I have made for myself I have yet to stop until I get them. I will push on and work for my goals just as Randy Pausch did and hopefully I too will be successful!

2 comments:

  1. I loved Randy Pausch's lecture. I think it hits home with everyone. I think the overall idea of his lecture is that if you work hard enough you can achieve anything. Even though I didn't achieve my childhood goal to become a jockey, I'm achieving an even better one and that is to help children reach their dreams. Overall I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Pausch has been an inspiration to me and a lot of others. I am glad you are one of those people.

    ReplyDelete