Sunday, April 28, 2013

Blog Post #14



In the article, Teacher Knows If You've Done the E-Reading by David Steitfeld, he talks about a online text book that teachers use in the classroom called CourseSmart E-Texbooks. These books are awesome and can track the students history of when and for how long they read their textbook. It tells the teacher know who is actually studying or who opens the textbook the night before the test. They know when the students are skipping pages, not highlighting important information, or not even opening the book. This is seriously the coolest thing I’ve ever heard of! I think this new form of technology is extremely helpful because it can increase the number or students who will actually study instead of just cramming the night before the test. It also gives the option of one on one teaching with the students instead of just reading straight from the book during class. As a student, I am in love with this type of studying because it seems super interesting a great way to persuade me to actually do my work early instead of waiting until the day it is due (like I am doing right now). I like the feature of being able to highlight the important material and that it saves your place for you to come back later.

If I were to talk to the teacher described in the article I would ask the following questions..
1. Do the E-books help or hurt your students more?
2. Are the student’s grades improving significantly?
3. Do you or your students have any major problems using this online method?

If I were to ask the students in his class I would ask the following questions...
1. Do you like this system, or would you rather use the more traditional teaching way?
2. Do you think your grades are better since using E-books?
3. Is there something about E-books you like better than the old teaching way?
4. If you could change anything about this system what would it be?

I had to think long and hard as to what comment I would leave Mr. Steitfeld, and then I realized I would simply thank him. All the other comments came off extremely ill, and honestly I find that to be just rude. The man was simply sharing some knowledge and I really like the idea of an online text book where the teacher can see what the student is doing. Also, if the student can highlight some parts in the book, they could highlight something they don’t understand and go over it the next day in the class. People need to realize technology is a coming and we just got to hold on for the ride. This is an exciting new find and I truly like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment