Sunday, February 3, 2013

Blog Post #3 (due 2/3)

Peer Editing
These two videos and slide show were such a cute and fun way to learn how to appropriately peer edit a classmates work. Peer editing never really had a huge impact when I was in lower school, that was never really an option. This technique is a great example of teaching children better social skills. People will be having to peer edit their entire life. It won't just be in the way people write papers, peer editing is teaching someone how to share an opinion tactfully. Peer editing will never go away and will be used in almost all aspects of life.
The video "Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes" was too precious! The children reenacting the different peer reviewers were great, and they certainly seemed to take their positions seriously.The children in the video portrayed how we should not act when helping others while critiquing their work! No one likes to be picked on, or called out in a harsh manner, the stereotypes were all in good fun but I hope to not ever come across like any of the actors when I leave a review.

Assistive Technologies
Learning about the large population of blind children was new to me. I honestly hadn't even thought that maybe one day I might have a child with that type of disability in my classroom. I realize that might sound ignorant of me but it just had not even crossed my mind. All these neat ways to keep the disabled children learning are pretty awesome. Leaving a child behind just because they have a small disability is irresponsible and it is great that people like Apple have these helpful devices. I loved the voice command that the Ipad has, it's great! The math professor who had the math brale machine thing was really cool too, these devices are what make schools so great. These disabled children need a chance to learn just as much as a child that doesn't have that type of problem.
Technology has come a long way in this day and age. People are coming up with really magnificent ways to keep disabled children learning. I love that and I now am slightly excited for the challenges that I might face with a child with an impairment in my classroom. The thought that I may one day change a child's life is really exciting. I hope that I can impact a child and make them happy to learn just as I am thrilled to teach!

Vicki Davis
What an inspirational woman! She is the type of teacher that believes in empowering her students and letting them learn the way that is best for them. I love teachers like Mrs. Davis, they are there to help but also want the students to not be so dependent on her. She is fantastic, she manged to take her small town Geogria highschoolers and show them the world. She got them involved with other children all the way in the middle east, she is a great teacher and an excellent role model for future teachers looking to be an inspiration in the classroom.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Whitley! Your post was interesting to read. Your write very well, and have knowledge about the material. The only issue in your post was when you said,"people be having...",but other than that it was great! I think technology for the children with impairments are great also! I hope one day to be an inspirational teacher like Vicki Davis. Hope you are enjoying this semester! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, That is too funny, I didn't even notice it. Thanks for watching out for me!

    ReplyDelete