Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Blog Post #6 (Due 2/24)

The Networked Student


Having a student that is well versed in internet usage is becoming more and more common. Children know how to use the internet, they know where to go to find the answer to their questions. This video by Wendy Drexler is just pointing that out. This video shows its watchers the many different tools a student can use to find valid information when writing a paper or asking a question. Today everyone is plugged in and being a networked student is where they start. In the video we are asked why is a teacher even needed and honestly when you first hear the question there really isn't an answer(or at least I didn't have a good one). The video did however; it had some pretty good reasons as to why the teachers are still needed. Yes students know their way around the web but sometimes when the student needs help, the teacher is there. The teacher is there to encourage the student when they feel stuck, and to help keep the child organized in their thoughts. Searching the web isn't always a walk in the park and the teacher can be there to help the child see the difference in solid information and things that don't seen all too true. The teacher is there to let the student know that someone will always be there when they need help. I am the kind of person who needs a little extra time when it comes to learning a new thing, or working with technology but I know I am not the only one. The children of right now and tomorrow are already a million times better at working a computer than me, but I know if I was just starting out in a classroom or in a hybrid class environment I could not do it without a teacher. Teachers will always be needed when a person is learning something new. Children are becoming much more advanced but the comfort of a teacher will never not be needed in a learning environment. I might not be the best at working a computer and knowing all its tools, but I would never let a child think they were all alone. I will try my hardest to help them when it is my time to teach and I hope that I can help them and make learning with all the online possibilities a little easier and fun!

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment or (PLN)
First off this young girl is ridiculously organized and I am extremely jealous because I am always all over the place. I love how easy it is to access all of her things and how simple it is to come in contact with experts on subjects when you have a question. This was a neat presentation and I like the idea of paperless classrooms! (I am a junior in college who goes through three syllabi a semester because I am alway losing them...just saying)

3 comments:

  1. Why no pictures on your posts? Please reply by email.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baldwin County is now ephasizing the use of challenge based, project-based and problem-based learning strategies at all grade levels. These efforts are similar to the networked student's approach to learning except the approaches vary according to grade. So get ready to be a Networked Teacher! Teaching has changed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with you that teachers will always be needed. Your right sometimes students need the teachers to lead them in the right direction or the student just needs to know there is someone there for them!! Good post!!

    ReplyDelete