Sunday, February 17, 2013

Blog Post #5 (Due 2/17)

If I built a School By: Krissy Venosdale
This is the most fun, creative and fun blog I have read so far in this class, I am loving the fun ideas Venosdale has shared. The idea of making a school with all these comfortable environments to increase the want to learn is super! It is so cute to want to build her own school, yes it would be a ton of hard work but her ideas are all fantastic. I am madly in love with the idea of a tree house in the library, it is such a cute idea that could be so much fun. I think that could be so fun, especially with younger children the stories told in a tree house could be great adventures. An image like Krissy's is hard to come by but even though she says building this school is just a dream, I really hope her dream comes true because if I had had the chance to learn in a school like that I would have had an even more amazing childhood. That is the type of school that could create some of the most imaginative and creative children of the future.
I could never imagine building my own school but I would love to come up with a dream like that. I love the idea of the beaming neon sign, catching someone's eye and letting them know where the best imaginations should go to grow is fantastic. Krissy Venosdale is a true inspiration, while my dreams aren't as extreme I believe everyone is push for their dreams and see them through.

Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir
The internet is such a neat place where almost anything is possible, and this was just one of the many examples. The idea to take over 185 people's videos singing the same song and making it into a beautiful chorus was incredible. The way everyone was matched up and placed with their style of singing, sopranos, altos, ect. was fantastic. I can't imagine the time it took to make this video but Mr. Whitacre did an incredible job, the melodies were simply beautiful.

NPR interview with Eric Whitacre
This man had such a fantastic idea and was really inspirational for some people. To hear that a woman who really didn't get out much because she lived all the way in Alaska and these virtual choirs were her way to escape was so fantastic. What a great way to give people such a fun way to get out of reality.

Teaching in the 21st Century
Wow, what an eye opener! This video really can make someone think, especially up and coming teachers. Technology really is surrounding us in this day and age and children honestly have every possible way to research just about any question that pops into their head. Roberts is right when he said it is no longer about entertaining in the classroom, but engaging. I fully support that statement because getting a child engaged in a subject and included them in the classroom is the best form of entertainment. By engaging them, you have their attention and having their attention usually means they are willing to learn the information you are sharing with them. Yes, they could easily learn the information on their own, but like the video also said teachers are merely filters. As filters we are able to feed the children the information in the best way possible. That video was incredible, I wish I could upload it onto my blog so that people who haven't seen it could get the chance. I am not sure how to go about doing that! (Dr. Strange if you read this PLEASE help me, I really want to share this fascinating video)

Fizz Flipping the Classroom
I love love love this idea! Watching videos of a classroom lesson plan the night before while at home is fantastic!!! If a teacher posts what is going to happen and basically teaches the lesson ahead of time is the perfect chance for kids to come up with questions if they are struggling with the subject. Another plus for the younger students would be watching the videos with their parents who could also help with school work from home. I know when I was in grade school I was always having trouble with things like math and my parents were a bit rusty when it came to numbers. "Flipping the classroom" could help the parents if they didn't exactly know how to do something either both the child and parent could use the video to come up with the answer to a problem if they needed it. I seriously think this is one of the most innovative and useful things I have learned and seen since taking this EDM310 class.

2 comments:

  1. What about no grade levels and advancement based on readiness and abilities? What about the emphasis on creativity and critical thinking? What about the massive use of technologies including computers, iPads, SMARTboards, video equipment for learning, not entertainment? You only talk about the look and feel of the dream school.

    "This video really can make someone think, especially up and coming teachers. " Ah. That's why I have you watch/read it.

    Including a link to the video on your blog is easy. Go to the video. Copy the URL. In your post type what you want to be your button, e.g. Teaching in the 21st Century. Select that text. Click on the Link button (make sure you have selected the HTML tab). Paste the url. That's it.

    I will have to explore the code to embed it. I'll send you an email.

    Ah. A flipping teacher!

    Thorough. Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Whitley! I loved this post! I like the flipped classroom idea too! I will use this in my classroom one day! Reviewing the lesson the night before class will help a lot of students out, and help them make better grades. I loved the video of the virtual choir. That was so neat to me!

    Hope you have a good weekend!
    Hannah :)

    ReplyDelete