Tuesday, February 5, 2013

C4T #1

Learning is Messy Blog
"Long Winded Morning" was the title of Mr. Brian Crosby's first post that I have read, it talked about an activity he had done with a group of elementary teachers in Nevada. It was an interesting experiment that the teachers all participated in, and it taught them all how wind energy works. They teamed up and built machines that lifted up small washers. In response to his post I commented saying how exciting it is to see that teachers are getting involved and grouping together to learn new things to be taught in the classrooms. I have said before in previous blogs, how I love hands on learning and seeing teachers get together and come up with projects that could eventually be super fun projects in the classroom is great!

The second C4T post I read by Mr. Brian Cosby was titled "Hand Held Windmills," you would think it was just the exact same thing as the post from before, but instead of teachers Mr. Cosby and his teaching partner involved the parents. This blog was the same project but on steroids, the project was only 50 minutes instead of a couple hours and the windmills were hand held (obviously..looking at the title) instead of standing. The parents and children still had to do the same project of building a windmill that could lift marbles, but the designs were much different from what the teachers had done in "Long Winded Morning." Once again I let Mr. Cosby know that I was in love with this project, it truly is something I haven't seen before. I think it is fantastic that he is bringing these communities together through science. It is fun seeing teachers come together and also parents with their children. I loved these projects and I really might try to build my very own windmill one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment